Practice Laws & Regulations
Learn more about the laws and regulations that govern our Board and dictate standards of conduct as a licensed provider.
Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS)
The NRS are laws that are enacted by the legislature.
Nevada Administrative Code (NAC)
The NAC outline how laws are administered.
ADOPTED REVISIONS TO NAC 637B
The Board has adopted revisions to sections of NAC 637B that are effective but not yet codified and as such, cannot be found in the NAC link above:
R064-21: Revision to Continuing Education Requirement in NAC 637B.400. Effective June 13, 2022.
The change revised NAC 637B.400 to reduce, from 15 hours to 10 hours, the total number of hours of continuing education required for the renewal of a license. Of those 10 hours, the revision adds a requirement that at least 1 of the 10 hours relate to ethics, cultural competence, cultural humility, culturally responsive practices or diversity, equity and inclusion. If a licensee is a dispensing audiologist, at least 3 of the 10 hours must relate directly to the practice of fitting and dispensing hearing aids.
R095-19: Revision to NAC Chapter 637B. Effective June 8, 2020.
Summary of Changes:
- Sec. 2. NEW: Clarifies existing NRS language regarding the exemption from licensure by defining “practice within scope of credential” issued by the Department of Education.
- Sec. 3. NEW: Establishes parameters from NRS for issuing citations to cease and desist and assessing administrative fines for violation of law for practicing without a valid license or endorsement, as well as a waiver of an administrative fine for “good cause”.
- Sec. 4. NEW: Grants the Board authority to consider requiring applicants take and pass a Jurisprudence Examination as a condition for initial license or reinstatement of an expired license.
- Sec. 5. NEW: Establishes a 30-day waiting period between attempts for the hearing aid dispensing practical examination.
- Sec. 6. REVISED: Allows an individual who wishes to reinstate and Apprentice license credit for up to two (2) years of in-service training completed during the initial license period.
- Sec. 7. REVISED: Clarifies existing regulation language to require that a sponsor and an apprentice shall have the same employer.
Sections of the NAC that may be of particular interest to licensees and the public:
Professional Conduct and Responsibilities to Clients
Visit NAC subsections of interest regarding professional conduct:
Learn more about our laws prohibiting unlicensed practice:
- NRS 637B.290 Practice without license: Prohibition; penalties.
- NRS 637B.291 Practice or offering to practice without license: Reporting requirements of Board.
- NRS 637B.295 Inspection of premises by Board.
- NRS 637B.320 Penalty.
Learn more about the Board's authority to investigate violations of NRS 637B and NAC 637B regarding both complaints against licensees and unlicensed practice.
Optional Jurisprudence Exam
NEW - Test Your Knowledge of Nevada Practice Laws & Regulations! The Board is working to develop a Jurisprudence Exam that is proposed to be required for renewals and all new applicants in the future. To prepare, we have developed an OPTIONAL exam, and encourage all new applicants and renewing licensees to test their knowledge of our practice laws and regulations.
TAKE THE EXAM: https://www.nvspeechhearing.org/about/laws-regs/jpexam.asp